Benefits and dangers of electricity
The electricity is very important in our life . Everyone needs the electricity. We can not imagine our life without it , So , It also has benefits and dangers . We must know how to deal with it , Man made the electric cables ( wires ) from copper which is an electric conducting material .
The benefits of electricity
- We use it to operate some machines .
- We use it to light the houses , the factories , the streets …………etc .
- You should know that we use it to cook the food and preserve it cold .
The dangers resulted from the improper use of electricity
- The direct injuries include the fires resulting from the electricity, The electric shock and Burns resulting from the electric current .
- The indirect injuries like the injuries that result from falling from the top of a ladder due to an electric shock .
The electric fires occur due to the increase in the temperature of the electric machines.
The electric shock occurs due to passing the electric current through the human body .
The electric burns are burns that result from the electricity and cause the damage of the body tissues.
The importance precautions in dealing with the electricity
- Do not place the flammable materials ( as the furniture , the curtains , the clothes , the paper ) close to the electric materials that generate the heat ( as the heater , the iron , the electric heater ) .
- Do not place several connections in the same socket .
- Do not insert a metallic object in the socket ( as the nail , the metallic wire or the uninsulated screw driver ) .
- Do not touch the electric machine that are connected to the electric current with the wet hand .
- Do not play with the electric connections .
- Do not try to fix or clean any electric machine , while connected to the electric current .
- Do not place the electric wires extending on the ground as anyone can trip on them , while walking .
- Do not leave an electric machine connected with the electric current , while taking a bath .
- Do not leave the wires naked and not insulated .
To prevent inserting another body in the socket , You must place a piece of plastic in it .
The human body is a good conductor of electric current because the water is 70 % of the human body. The electric shock happens when your body is a part of a closed circuit , where the electric current flows from a part of your body and comes out from another part. The human body is more exposed to the electric shock when it is wet. In many cases, The electric shock causes the death.
The electricity reaches our houses and factories from the electric power stations through the metallic cables . These cables are hanged on the insulating materials to prevent the electric current from reaching the towering poles .