Benefits, dangers of electricity and precautions in dealing with the electricity
Electricity is very important in our life. Everyone needs electricity. We can not imagine our life without it, So, It also has benefits and dangers. We must know how to deal with it, Man made the electric cables (wires) from copper which is an electric conducting material.
Benefits of electricity
- We use it to operate some machines.
- We use it to light houses, factories, the streets …………etc.
You should know that we use it to cook food and preserve it cold.
Dangers resulted from improper use of electricity
- The direct injuries include fires resulting from the electricity, The electric shock, and Burns resulting from the electric current.
- The indirect injuries like the injuries that result from falling from the top of a ladder due to an electric shock.
Electric fires occur due to the increase in the temperature of the electric machines.
The electric shock occurs due to passing the electric current through the human body.
Electric burns are burns that result from electricity and cause damage to the body tissues.
Precautions in dealing with the electricity
- Do not place flammable materials (such as furniture, curtains, clothes, the paper) close to the electric materials that generate the heat (such as the heater, the iron, and the electric heater).
- Do not place several connections in the same socket.
- Do not insert a metallic object in the socket (such as the nail, the metallic wire, or the uninsulated screwdriver).
- Do not touch the electric machines that are connected to the electric current with the wet hand.
- Do not play with the electric connections.
- Do not try to fix or clean any electric machine, while connected to the electric current.
- Do not place the electric wires extending on the ground as anyone can trip on them while walking.
- Do not leave an electric machine connected to the electric current, while taking a bath.
- Do not leave the wires naked and not insulated.
To prevent inserting another body in the socket, You must place a piece of plastic in it.
The human body is a good conductor of electric current because water is 70 % of the human body. The electric shock happens when your body is a part of a closed circuit, where the electric current flows from a part of your body and comes out from another part. The human body is more exposed to electric shock when it is wet. In many cases, Electric shock causes death.
The electricity reaches our houses and factories from electric power stations through metallic cables. These cables are hung on the insulating materials to prevent the electric current from reaching the towering poles.
You can download Science online application on google play from this link: Science online Apps on Google Play