Soil pollution, Soil pollutants and ways to protect the soil from pollution
The soil pollution
Pollution is very dangerous, There are different kinds of pollution as air pollution, the water pollution & soil pollution, The pollution is any change in the environment that disturbs its natural balance.
The soil pollution affects the living organisms, It harms plants, animals and human, The soil pollution reduces the ability of the agricultural soil for cultivation, It causes the death of plants and it harms the health of animals and humans.
Soil pollutants are materials that cause soil pollution.
Chemical pesticides are used to kill the pests of the agricultural crops, But they contaminate the plants as they leak into the soil, So they harm the humans and the animals’ health when they feed on these contaminated plants.
Chemical fertilizers are used to compensate the poor soil with the required elements for the plant growth and the formation of its food.
But the great quantities of chemical fertilizers cause the death of living organisms that live in the soil and harm the humans and the animals that feed on the plants as the chemical fertilizers leak to the plants that grow in the soil.
Industrial wastes result from industrial activities, and they pollute the air, the water & the soil, They increase soil acidification, and they deprive the plants of the soil salts causing the death of the plants as the soil salts are necessary for the plant’s growth.
The increase of the soil salinity is due to the increase in the periods between the irrigation times and the rising in the level of the groundwater. It causes the loss of cultivated plants and affects the plant’s growth.
Ways to protect the soil from the pollution
- You should improve the drainage of the agricultural lands.
- You have to rationalize the use of various kinds of pesticides and depend mainly on the natural enemies of the insects to feed on the agricultural pests.
- You should rationalize the use of chemical fertilizers and you should use natural fertilizers.
- You should treat industrial wastes by following technological methods.
- You should establish the factories far from the agricultural areas.
- You should use technological investments in the treatment of wastewater before draining it in the lakes and the rivers.
- You have to recycle agricultural wastes to produce useful materials.
- You should irrigate the agricultural lands regularly to prevent soil salinity.
- You should promote environmental awareness among the people, especially in the agricultural areas.