Matter , Mixtures Types , Properties , Formation and Separation
Atmospheric air is a mixture of different gases such as oxygen , nitrogen , carbon dioxide and water vapour , Solution is a special type of mixtures , where its components are mixed and interfere till you can not distinguish between its particles .
Types of matter
Pure substance is the substance that is made of only one type of identical particles such as distilled ( pure ) water , sugar and baking soda .
Both sugar and distilled water are considered pure substances because each of them is composed of only one type of identical particles , Both milk and concrete are considered mixtures because each of them consists of more than one type of particles .
Types of mixtures
There are many different types of mixtures , such as Solid-solid mixture , Liquid-liquid mixture , Solid-liquid mixture , Gaseous-Gaseous mixture and Gaseous-liquid mixture .
Solid-solid mixture consists of two or more different solid matter such as fruit salad and vegetable salad .
Liquid-liquid mixture consists of two or more different liquids such as mixture of vinegar and water , mixture of oil and water , mixture of oil and vinegar ( dressing of salad ) .
Solid-liquid mixture consists of solid and liquid matter such as mixture of sand and water , mixture of salt and water .
Gaseous-liquid mixture consists of gaseous and liquid matter such as a mixture of soda water that is produced from dissolving carbon dioxide gas in sugar solution .
Properties of mixtures
You can separate the tomato from the salad easily and eat it separately , The strawberry in the fruit salad keeps its taste and colour before and after mixing , You can add or remove the desired amount of vegetables in your vegetable soup , So , the properties of the mixture are :
- The components of the mixture do not join ( react ) together and can be separated easily .
- Each component in a mixture keeps its own properties , so , the properties of a mixture are the same properties of its components .
- The components of the mixture can be mixed at any ratio .
Formation of mixtures
Where solid and liquid materials can be mixed by shaking or stirring such as mixture of salt and water , liquid materials can be mixed by shaking or stirring such as mixture of strawberry juice and banana juice , Solids materials can be mixed by shaking or grinding such as mixture of salt and pepper .
Separation of mixtures
The components of the mixture do not react together , so , they can be separated easily by simple methods such as :
- A magnet ( Magnetic attraction ) is used to separate the solid mixture that contain magnetic substances such as mixture of sand and iron fillings .
- Filtration process is used to separate solid materials that are insoluble in water such as mixture of sand ( or mud ) and water .
- Evaporation process is used to separate solid materials that are soluble in water such as mixture of salty solution .
- Separation funnel is used to separate liquid mixtures whose components do not mix together such as mixture of oil and water .
Filtration process is used to separate sand from sugary solution because filtration process is used to separate the solid materials as sand that are insoluble in water .